Customizing any software for a distinguished experience has become a necessity for today’s generation. All the businesses and entrepreneurs looking for a custom development service that can make certain tweaks and create a user experience that is exclusive to them with a personalized touch.
A learning management system is no different than any other software and hence the scope of customization is open to exploring in an LMS too.
There is hardly any enterprise or educational institute that does not has an idea about how crucial a solid and robust learning management system is for them. An LMS is something that centralizes the entire learning process wherever required.
Since the software is capable of catering to multiple fields, from small-scale enterprises to large-scale institutes and educational trusts, a single boxed LMS is never enough. People need different features and since the use cases make a lot of difference, you need to ensure that your LMS gives you a personalized experience.
Not to forget, a custom LMS development company is always stuck in providing the finest of solutions to multiple clients hence there is a huge scope of confusion in creating an experience. It is an enterprise’s responsibility to know what they want and how they want to go about the customization process.
So where do you begin? What are the steps you should take while customizing your LMS? Well, that is exactly what we are going to discuss in this post. By the end of this, you will be ready to reach out to an LMS company with a list of customization options that will not only create a personalized experience but will also add productivity to your LMS.
Without further ado, let us take a look at what are the steps you need to take to get a well-designed and customized learning management system.
Your Journey Towards a Customized LMS: Steps to Perfection
Getting yourself an LMS is not a big deal as there are hundreds of service providers who are ready to deliver a one of a kind experience to you however, learning management systems are subjective to the environment in which they will be used and hence you need to customize them and for that, you need to follow two major steps. These are –
Define Your Vision – Before you add features or remove any from the default system, you need to be clear about the vision you have for your enterprise.
This way you get a clearer picture of what your future operations may look like With software and technology, you always have to think about the future, at least 2 steps forward from today and thus knowing what your vision is can help you make the most out of the available resources.
For instance, if you are a corporate enterprise, what may be your working strength in the upcoming 2 years? Or if you are an eLearning platform, how many users you may have in the next 2 years? These questions lay down the foundation of customization as you do not want to degrade the user experience of your platform if the number of users increases in the future.
Market Research – Look for a reference before you go into the market to get yourself an LMS. You see, when you are already in the market with zero ideas of what you want, the choices always confuse you however when you have seen a few contemporaries using a system, you know what exactly are your requirements and how you want them to work.
There are so many features that you can get added to your LMS and similarly there are features that may be of no use to you and your enterprise or organization. To make the most of both cases, you need to have a set reference point in your mind if you want to get the best results with less investment.
Market research can help you acquire all the knowledge you may need to take a strong decision. Not to forget, you will also come to know the drawbacks of currently functioning LMSs so that you can ensure that those do not make way to your learning management system.
After these 2 steps, comes a very important aspect of customization, creating a feature roadmap that you want to accomplish through customization. Let’s take a look at all the features you may want to bring onboard to customize your experience –
- Custom Logo Placement – It is really important to create a sense of personalization while using software on a regular basis. Give your LMS an identity, the one that you are already known for. Place your custom logo as it creates a huge difference for the user. You do not want a person interacting with your platform to feel that they are using third-party software hence it is must-have customization in any LMS.
- Give it a Theme – Next thing you have to take care of is the user experience and the theme that your platform uses. It is preferred to use the company color palette to design the sections of your LMS as it gives a personalized homely feeling to the user. If you have any other ideas for the colors and presentation of your LMS, you can go for that as the goal here is to reach the comfort level of your audience.
- Prior Integration – The LMS integration comes in handy when you already have a few online platforms you work on. A CRM or salesforce that has been taking care of data can be easily integrated with your LMS so that you do not have to worry about migrating from one to another and neither you have to worry about the data that you have. Everything can be made smooth with this feature and thus it is a crucial one to have.
- Gamification – As simple as this sounds, implementing gamification strategically can be a very difficult task. You see training and development are not a matter of fun. You need sincerity and concentration and hence you can not always make things fun as students and learners need to study and pay attention to the course. But that does not mean you should avoid gamification. Using it to show rankings and course progress is a good idea.
- Induced Modularity – While you may want to create a platform that is most suitable for you and your organization in a single go, it is impossible to customize any software perfectly without actually trying it practically. Hence you need to ensure that the LMS company that you hire gives you modularity in the system. With the help of modular software, you can easily make changes without hampering other functionalities.
- Interactive Features – Interaction among users is also an important aspect of training and learning. You need to ensure that your platform is full of ways to interact and communicate. Customizing your social features is a really important aspect as if you leave a loophole in communication, the quality of learning can take a huge hit which is never good for a learning and development platform. Adding important modes of social learning is a must.
- Custom Notification – Reminders and notifications play a significant role in learning and education. You can ask an LMS consultant and they will recommend you have custom reminders and notifications along with a feature to add or create reminders to the system. These small things are really helpful in creating engagement as the more people use the platform, the better it is for an enterprise.
The list of features is endless as you can go on and on with colorful banners, personalized UX copywriting, one-tap login, and social login to name a few more. The point here is these mentioned features are a must-have and this is how you can actually get your LMS customized.
Follow these steps of customization and the results will surely surprise you with the quality that you can achieve with this. Needless to say, you are in for a great experience once you have found an LMS customization company that not only delivers a system but also understands your usability with it. Customization has become a necessity for today and hence you should not hesitate in reaching out to a software development company that caters to eLearning solutions.
If you aim to achieve great results without any effort, you can go for the best and most accurate bundled LMS as they are also available however, customizing the system gives a unique learning experience to the user which is beyond anything else. Hope the post helps you with your customizing journey, Good luck!
Scarlett works with the editorial team of A3logics, a leading company offering LMS solutions. Exploring the latest technologies, reading about them, and writing her views have always been her passion. She seeks new opportunities to express her opinions, explore technological advancements, and document the details.
You can always find her enjoying books or articles about varied topics or jotting down her ideas in a notebook.